Can't Sleep, Clown Will Eat Me


A whisper wakes me in my sleep.

"Dear lord..."

I sleep perfectly fine every night. Sometimes there is that dream where the bottom half of everyone is tentacles, octopus limbs. Other times, it's that dream where everyone has forgotten my name, and I'm lined up with my fellow 4th graders on the first day of school, to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. And rarely, is it that dream where I am at an acceptance speech, with P. Diddy like confidence at the podium, holding my award for "being awarded", only to hear murmurs in audience, only to hear someone say,

"I hope he has kids just so he can see them die in a fire."

They got their award for "being awarded" last week, why are they jealous of me?

But tonight, I don't get any of those dreams. I'm awake from the whisper, staring at the ceiling, listening

"Dear Lord..."

"Dear Lord, please give me the power to answer the prayers of humanity, give me strength to control natural disasters, create a sustainable world economy in the face of the digital age, and end racism..."

Jesus, was praying to

ME

"and end racism?"

You are asking too much my son.







4 comments:

  1. The Atheist Gazette raves "Blasphemously hilarious..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Love this post! I have a recurring dream in which I am in fourth grade and have forgotten to wear pants to school...strange. Also, I have a recurring dream where I am immaculately conceived and have to explain it to my parents...is this telling of how weird I am? Anyway...your posts are so fun to read!
    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete